Mobility and access are key to independence. If you’re a wheelchair user, you don’t want to have to depend on someone to help you get inside a tall car or up the front steps to an ordinary home’s front door. In these situations, wheelchair ramps are a game changer. They allow you as a wheelchair user to ascend these inclines with ease and independence.
There are several key considerations to keep in mind to make sure you get a wheelchair ramp for your specific needs. First, you’ll need to consider the length of the ramp. It is generally recommended that for every two inches you ascend, your ramp should have approximately a foot in length. Another specification to consider is the ramp’s weight capacity. People are all shapes and sizes, but so are wheelchairs – so it’s important to take both into account. Finally, the style of the ramp is important. Some are more or less fixed in a permanent location while other ramps fold up and are very portable. The best type of ramp for you just depends on your own needs.
Check out the ten best wheelchairs of 2017 below:
10. Aluminum Wheelchair Traction Wheelchair Ramp Folding Portable
- 10. Aluminum Wheelchair Traction Wheelchair Ramp Folding Portable
- 9. Ez-Access Suitcase Ramp Signature Series, 3 Feet, 14 Pound
- 8. Drive Medical Single Fold Portable Wheelchair Scooter Ramp
- 7. HomCom 6′ Folding Portable Suitcase Mobility Wheelchair Threshold Ramp
- 6. Aluminum Multifold Wheelchair Scooter Mobility Ramp
- 5. 96″ Portable Folding Aluminum Wheelchair & Scooter Ramp
- 4. Ez-Access Self Supporting Thresh Ramp 12 Inch(length)
- 3. 3″ x 34″ Aluminum Wheelchair Threshold Ramp
- 2. PVI Single Fold Scooter and Wheelchair Ramp 6′ L x 30″ W
- 1. Prairie View Industries SFW330 Portable Singlefold Ramp
- Related Posts:
This is a highly durable, very portable wheelchair ramp that is great for lower heights. Overall, the length of this ramp is three feet and is recommended for a rise of six inches or less. This ramp has safety locking pins and a non-slip surface, and would be great to use to get over one or two steps.
- 600lb weight capacity
- Non-slip surface
- Easy to set up and break down
- Lightweight design for easy portability
- Only good for smaller rises
- Tread on surface of ramp may be subject to wear and tear
- May be too narrow for some wheelchair designs
9. Ez-Access Suitcase Ramp Signature Series, 3 Feet, 14 Pound
This ramp is also good for vertical increases of 6 inches or less. It comes with a foldable lip on the bottom so that there is no edge that you’ll need to tilt your chair to get over, which is an important safety feature. Its “suitcase” design also makes it extremely easy to fold up and take with you.
- An even higher weight capacity at 800 lbs
- Foldable lip for safe manuevering
- Lightweight design
- Strong safety pins and locks
- No non-slip surfaces
- Only good for shorter ascents
- Relatively higher cost
8. Drive Medical Single Fold Portable Wheelchair Scooter Ramp
These wheelchair ramps are so portable that it actually comes with its own carry bag with a handle. You can fold this one up and take it with you easily. This is an especially durable ramp as well, with good quality materials that protect it from wear and tear – such as the perforated slots along the surface of the ramp that allows water to drain out. So if it’s left outside in the rain, it will not fill up with water and sustain water damage.
- Easy to fold and transport in its travel bag with carry handle
- Not susceptible to damage
- High-quality materials making it especially safe and stable
- Not as lightweight as some of the other ramps on the market
- Only covers shorter inclines
- Carry handle placement restricts width of entryway it fits in
7. HomCom 6′ Folding Portable Suitcase Mobility Wheelchair Threshold Ramp
This ramp has more flexibility that other models previously discussed. Here we specifically mention the six-foot long ramp, but this one does come in multiple sizes from two to ten feet. With these options, you can really choose a ramp that fits your specific need. It also has edges on the side to act as guardrails to keep you on course – and it has a non-slip surface as well. So not only does this ramp provide options for different inclines, but it is also a very safe ramp as well.
- Multiple size options to meet any incline needs
- Guardrail-like edges and non-stick surface to provide extra safety
- Folds up for portability
- Higher price
- Lower weight capacity
- Narrow ramp space side-to-side
6. Aluminum Multifold Wheelchair Scooter Mobility Ramp
With this ramp, there is a hinged section in the middle allowing the user to customize the angle of the ramp easily. It has a non-slip surface and a nylon handle for easy carrying once it is folded up and ready to be moved.
- Non-slip surface for safety
- Customizable angle
- Longer length to allow for higher ascents
- At 40lbs, this ramp is a bit heavier
- Set-up is more difficult with the heaviness
5. 96″ Portable Folding Aluminum Wheelchair & Scooter Ramp
This is another ramp that comes in multiple length options. You can choose between 5 feet, 6 feet, and 8 feet. It has a great high-traction surface and its aluminum construction gives it strength and durability, for a weight capacity of 600lbs.
- Multiple length options
- High-quality materials and construction
- Non-slip surface for added safety
- High price
- Heavy and can be cumbersome for a wheelchair user to set up and take down
4. Ez-Access Self Supporting Thresh Ramp 12 Inch(length)
You would want to use this ramp for an uneven surface, such as an edge in your home or a small step, as it is very short in length. As such, it is very well constructed and has adjustable legs for flexibility, making it a great option for those small edges your wheelchair may otherwise have trouble clearing.
- Durable construction makes it very stable with weight capacity at 700 lbs
- Independently adjustable legs make it flexible to cover an uneven surface
- Wide enough for any mobility aid
- Not suitable for larger steps
- Heavy and requires a little extra care with set-up.
3. 3″ x 34″ Aluminum Wheelchair Threshold Ramp
Like the previous model, this short ramp is great for small steps and uneven surface, but it has the added flexibility of coming in seven different lengths ranging from 1” to 6”. This one has a good high-traction surface as well making it safe for use in any environment.
- Low price
- Safe non-slip surface
- Different length options
- Only suitable for thresholds, doorways, and small steps
- Some assembly required.
2. PVI Single Fold Scooter and Wheelchair Ramp 6′ L x 30″ W
With all of the best features, this ramp is a great option. It has different height options, locking pins for safety, a high-traction surface, and durable aluminum construction for minimal corrosion.
- Great value
- Multiple enhancements to ensure safety of the user
- Different size options
- Durable, stable, and long-lasting
- A little on the heavy side
- Lower weight capacity at 500 lbs
1. Prairie View Industries SFW330 Portable Singlefold Ramp
As a best-selling option, this ramp really has all the features you could want. It has the easy-carry handle, multiple size options, very high-traction surface, and it is wide enough for any wheelchair or scooter. This ramp has been tested for safety by Underwriters Laboratory and is proven to be one of the safest ramps out there. And the best part? It has a significantly lower price compared to others of its kind.
- Low price
- Proven to be extremely safe
- Lightweight and very portable with a carrying handle
- Different length options
- Since it is wide enough to accommodate any wheelchair or scooter, be careful if you are planning to install it in a doorway or other fixed-width area.