Summer is just around the corner, so it’s time to uncover the pool and get things ready. If your pool pump is getting old and worn-down or has stopped working, you will need to consider ordering a replacement before summer starts. If you need a new pump, consider purchasing one of the variable speed pool pumps listed in this review.
10. Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
This Energy Star certified variable speed pump is designed to be cost-effective. It works in standard pools that require up to a 1.5 hp pump and has 50 and 60 Hz and 110-230v capabilities.
The Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax has 24-hour memory retention and a real-time clock. It’s capable of override and has three-speed settings.
- Easy to program and use
- Easily accessible electric connections make it easy to install
Other Topic: Top 15 Best Swimming Pool Cover Reel Reviews
9. Jandy JEP 2.0 ePump, Variable Speed 2-Horsepower Pump
The Jandy JEP 2.0 ePump is extremely quiet and efficient, and its motor has a long life. It comes with a one-year warranty.
This pump has 8 variable speeds, five control system options, and an enormous trap basket. There is also a 1.5 model available.
- Saves up to $1,300 per year
- Easy-to-read indicators
- Quiet operation
Other Topic: Top 10 Best Pressure Washer Pumps 2020 Reviews
8. Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower 2-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump
This energy-efficient pump works well for on- and above-ground pools. The heavy-duty motor has a long-lasting integrated automatic thermal protector.
There is a protected rear-mounted switch to start the motor. The pump generates a vertical discharge orientation to horizontal. It comes with a large strainer basket and drains plug.
- Noryl impeller has a wide opening that prevents clogging.
- Runs very quietly
7. Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
The Hayward SP2302VSP is one of the most energy-efficient pumps available and is eligible for local utility rebates. The motor is efficient, durable, and quiet.
There are an extra-large basket and a new time-clock. The motor has a permanent magnet, totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) design that cuts power consumption.
- Easy-to-read digital interface
- Low noise level
- Moves water well on the lowest setting
6. Hayward SP3400VSP Speed Pool Pump
Another well-liked Hayward pump is the SP3400VSP EcoStar, which features a permanent magnet, TEFC motor that keeps the water running smoothly and produces little noise.
This pump can be installed with Hayward automation, in stand-alone mode, or with competitive control systems. It is automatically protected from brownouts, voltage spikes, priming failures, and extreme temperatures.
- Can suction lift to 10 feet above the water?
- Easy-to-use interface
- Has a Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS)
5. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump
This Pentair pump is built to save you 90% energy consumption over its competitors and is a 3-hp, 230-v machine that runs quietly.
There are 8 programmable speed settings, a built-in timer, and built-in diagnostics. Motor speed can be matched to your pool’s needs. This pump also enhances chlorinator and filter performance and reduces algae build-up.
- Saves money on energy costs
- Keeps the pool looking clear
4. Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell
This generator continuously recycles the salt used to create chlorine in a pool, reducing your amount of daily upkeep. The IntelliChlor is self-cleaning and produces up to 1.4 pounds of chlorine each day.
IntelliChlor IC40 works in pools up to 40,000 gallons and can work between 220-240V. It comes with a 10-foot power cord.
- Lasts about 5 years when properly maintained
- Easy to install
3. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
This single-speed 1.5hp pump is quiet and cost-effective. It starts up easily with the self-priming feature and comes with a one-year warranty.
The pump’s internal design minimizes hydraulic noise. Hydraulics are well-engineered, the 56 square flange motor is durable, and the body parts have thick walls.
- Works well in sports pools that hold 16,000 gallons of water
- Doesn’t have a pesky onboard circuit board control switch
2. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump
This 1.5hp pump is known to be reliable and efficient. It is easy to service since there is a quick 4-bolt access area for the internal components. The strainer is see-through, so you can know when there is a lot of debris in it.
The strainer’s cover can be easily removed using the swing-away hand knobs. There are no loose clamps or parts. The 110-cubic-inch basket can hold excess leaves.
- The ceramic seal is heat-resistant.
- The solid mounting base is supportive.
1. LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump with Cord
The best pool pump for 2017 is the Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo, a 1.5hp pump meant for above-ground pools only.
The pump has a clear cover and has reinforced thermoplastic housing for year-round protection. The debris basket is a whopping 118-cubic-inches. The double-sized seal is heat-resistant and 100% drip-proof.
- Comes with a power cord
- Very cost-effective
- Can run well for years
- Runs better than some 2.0hp pumps