Toddlers and preschoolers love tricycles as they develop gross motor skills and build independence. Most kids can pedal and steer around age three, but some are ready for a trike much earlier. Remember: no matter what kind you choose, ALL kids need to wear a well-fitting helmet on every ride!
To decide which tricycle is right for your child, think about three questions: how big is my child? Where is my child most likely to ride? How much use will it get? If you have a small child, look for safety features that help them stay seated. If you ride outside, look for sun shades and parent handles. Families who want to get years of use should look for study, adjustable tricycles that can grow with their children. Here are ten of the best tricycles of 2017 to help start your search.
10. Radio Flyer Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike
- 10. Radio Flyer Radio Flyer Deluxe Steer and Stroll Trike
- 9. Radio Flyer Grow ‘N Go Flyer
- 8. Fisher-Price Grow With Me Trike
- 7. Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike
- 6. Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle
- 5. Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle
- 4. Radio Flyer Classic Red Dual Deck Tricycle
- 3. Fly Bike Foldable Indoor/Outdoor Toddlers Glide Tricycle
- 2. Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
- 1. 4-in-1 Stroll ‘N Trike
- Related Posts:
This tricycle has features for both parents and children with a removable parent steering handle that lets you push while your child uses the pedals as footrests. The durable molded wheels and adjustable grow-with-me seat are plastic, which means this trike won’t tire out your tot or the adult who pushes her home. A fun covered bin holds snacks and keys on the go.
- Parent handle overrides steering mechanism
- Pedals double as stationary footrests
- Molded wheels are bumpy and may not hold up to outdoor riding
- Steering responsiveness isn’t refined and feels loose
9. Radio Flyer Grow ‘N Go Flyer
This tricycle is called a flyer for a reason: the performance grip tread and low center of gravity make it possible to really pick up speed! The sturdy steel frame expands as your child grows up to 49 pounds. The small storage bin in the back provides a place for stuffed animals and toys. This trike is definitely for bigger kids as toddlers can’t reach the pedals.
Other Topic: Top 10 Pull-Along Wagons for Kids 2018 Reviews
- Low center of gravity reduces tipping
- Perfect for adventurous, confident riders
- Adjustable frame and higher weight limit fit bigger kids
- Plastic construction likely won’t last for multiple children
- Not much fun for kids who can’t pedal and steer independently
- Reviewers note plastic wheels don’t grip certain substances like wet concrete or
8. Fisher-Price Grow With Me Trike
This trike sets the stage to enjoy a ride without the frustration of a complicated trike. The Grow With Me feature starts with thick handles and pedal blocks that are easy for young toddlers to grab and push. Then, as your child grows, the seat can be adjusted and the block pedals removed. The lightweight plastic is perfect for living rooms and driveways.
- Designed for young toddlers
- Lightweight, good for indoors
- Won’t hold up to heavy outdoor use
- Too small for preschoolers
7. Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike
This tricycle is perfect for kids who want a trike but still need a stroller. Toddlers love the high-backed seat that keeps them safe with a three-point seatbelt and removable lap tray. Little feet can rest on the removable full foot platform in the shade of the full canopy that protects from all angles. Parents love the padded push handle with a large parent storage bucket and bottle holder. As your child grows, use the flip switch adjustable seat and removable elements to transform the trike through four stages.
- Available in three vibrant colors
- Plenty of storage
- Different design elements at each stage
- Full foot panel, seatbelt, and tray for safety
- Construction isn’t sturdy for the price
- Reviewers report first assembly is complicated
- Best for kids who aren’t ready to ride independently
6. Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle
A classic with a functional twist! The adjustable seat and 10-inch front wheel make this tricycle appropriate for ages 2-4 or a weight capacity of 42.5 lbs. This trike looks great with its chrome handlebars, fenders and vintage details. Solid rubber tires and steel spoked wheels provide a smooth ride. A removable adult handle adjusts to three positions.
- lassic styling is functional and pretty
- Rubber tires hold up well to outdoor riding
- Adjustable push handle is comfortable for adults of all sizes
- Tall or heavy kids will outgrow this trike quickly
- Adult handle only controls speed, not direction
- No storage
5. Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle
The combination of a heavy frame with lighter plastic seats and bins creates a stable trike that’s not too heavy for kids. A removable handle allows adults to push or take over steering control. A gravity dump storage bin in back and front handlebar basket provide plenty of space for treasures on a walk. The optional seatbelt and molded seat keep younger riders safe while riding.
- Available in four colors
- Removable adult handle has good steering handling
- Storage areas are fun to fill and dump
- One of the most expensive options on the market
4. Radio Flyer Classic Red Dual Deck Tricycle
This vintage design stands the test of time. Glossy red steel, ringing chrome bell, and flowing handlebar tassels draw the eyes. Classic construction provides a sturdy dependable ride. The adjustable seat grows with children who love climbing on and off from the double-deck rear step. The rubber tires give a smooth ride even on bumpy sidewalks.
- Big enough for 3-5 year olds to really ride
- Style features are classic and gender neutral, making it great for multi-kid families
- Rubber tires are solid: no inflating or punctures to interrupt the ride
- Full size tricycle may be too big for toddlers to reach the pedals
- Steel body is heavy and harder to get moving
3. Fly Bike Foldable Indoor/Outdoor Toddlers Glide Tricycle
This space age trike has no pedals and is ready to ride right out of the box. Kids use their feet to push off and stop, putting the focus on balance and steering. Wheels are streamlined for a smooth, quiet ride and the entire lightweight trike can be folded in seconds for a quick clean up.
- Master balance and control without the frustration of pedals
- Unique design is fun and practical for small spaces
- Low cost and no assembly
- Too small for preschoolers
- Not great for outdoor riding
2. Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
If your little racer (or daddy!) is into classic cars and beefy bikes, this flashy low rider might be the tricycle for you. A low center of gravity reduces tip-overs and a sculpted seat adjusts for height and comfort. All materials are top of the line: chrome handlebars, full-steel heavy-duty construction with a real wood deck and custom-looking finishes like a burned-in logo, long tassels and a bell.
- Gorgeous styling and unique classic car vibe
- Comes in six colors
- Quality construction
- Tall or older kids will quickly outgrow it
- Heavy to pedal
1. 4-in-1 Stroll ‘N Trike
This trike combines the classic red radio flyer look with all the upgrades and comfort features possible. It has four adjustable stages from a pushed infant trike all the way to a classic trike that preschoolers can ride independently. For the youngest riders, it features a 3-point harness and high seat back along with a removable safety tray. Bring all your snacks along for the ride with the cup holder and covered storage bin. A canopy provides UV protection and the adult Steer and Stroll adjustable push handle lets toddlers kick back while mom or dad takes a turn driving from behind.
- Adjustable design
- Adult handle is highly functional for steering
- Safe for youngest riders
- No footrest or locking pedals
- Doesn’t hold up to heavy outdoor use
There are plenty of tricycles on the market, most with affordable prices and easy assembly. Choose a trike that will fit your child’s needs for their size and developmental abilities as well as your location and the types of riding your family will do. Any of these tricycles will delight and entertain your child for hours so grab a water bottle and your helmets and enjoy the ride!