Whether you want to maximize your upper body strength or are just looking for a good workout, free standing pull up bars provide an excellent tool for your daily stretch. Although some sources may make them seem unreliable, most are incredibly affordable and can last for years.
What to Look For When Buying a Free Standing Pull Up Bar
There are a couple things to consider before purchasing your free standing pull up bar.
Durability: The last thing you want is a wobbly bar that will shake every time you try to do a pull up. Look for a pull up bar made of sturdy materials that can handle a lot of stress and offer plenty of support.
Size: This is vital to take into consideration, especially if you have limited floor space. Try to find a pull up bar that is compact and will fit in the available space. There are also some bars that are portable and can be disassembled easily at the end of your workout.
Adjustability: With most free standing bars you will be able to adjust the height. This will ensure that you can work out comfortably without hitting the floor or the ceiling. This factor is also fairly important if more than one person will be using the bar.
Height and Weight Restrictions: Some free standing pull up bars have height and weight restrictions. Double check these limits before you purchase anything.
Price: With most things, the more expensive the pull up bar is, the better it will be. However, there are excellent products available in every price range.
Different Types of Free Standing Pull Up Bars
There are a variety of different styles of free standing pull up bars. It is important to choose the right one for your tastes and type of workout.
- Pull up towers / power towers / pull up & dip stations
- Power cages/power racks with pull up bars
- Trapeze style pull up bars
- Squat stand pull up bars
- Punch bag stands with pull up bars
One of the best things about buying and using a standing pull up bar is the fact it can help build up your home gym. Most are affordable and easy to set up. To help you find the best free standing pull up bar, check out our guide on what to look for as well as our top 15 pull up bar reviews below.
15. Tenive HD Style Dip Stand Fitness Training Parallel Bar Home Gym Dip Station
The Tenive Training Bar Home Gym Station is an incredibly affordable pull up bar system that is not only easy to setup but also fits perfectly in any home or commercial gym. You’ll notice 4 rubber pads to prevent any unnecessary scratching, not to mention, hand cramps. In addition, the pull up system is great to help strengthen and condition triceps, chest, shoulders, and delts. The Home gym system measures 33” x 32” x 42” with a maximum capacity of 300 pounds, which can conveniently fit in any smaller space.
- 4 rubber grip pads for ease of use
- Easy to setup
- Perfect for your home gym or at a gym you manage
- Great for strengthening triceps. chest, shoulders, and delts
- Small compared to other pull up bars
- Made of poor quality steel
14. Goplus Chin Up Tower Rack Pull Up Weight Stand Bar
If you’re looking for a great at home or commercial chin up bar system, the Goplus resistant home gym is a perfect choice. It is an overall affordable system, with a simple setup, that is great to help strengthen core muscles. The system includes easy to read instructions with comfortable padding for longer workout sessions. The Goplus workout system is 15.4” x 9.4” and can support up to 330 pounds.
- Can fit into a smaller workout space
- Simple setup with included instructions
- Great for strengthening core muscles
- Made of a cheaper material than most pull up bar systems
- Nonslip grips wear down quickly
13. Bodyweight Master Free Standing Pull Up Bar
The Bodyweight Master Free Standing Pull up Bar System is a durable and fully customizable tool to help maximize your muscles. Completely made of a strong steel build, it is a stable system that is perfect for any home or commercial gym setting. Complete with easy setup instructions, the system is easy to use with 7 different pull up height settings.
- Made of durable steel
- Stable system
- 7 different adjustable heights
- Easy setup
- No padding or grips
- Not as complex as most other pull up bar systems
12. SoloStrength Ultimate Functional Training Bodyweight Exercise Home Gym
SoloStrength makes the priciest, but also most durable fitness pull up bar systems on the market. With a fully height adjustable pull up system, along with the ability to perform over 150 exercises, it is the perfect exercise tool for bodybuilders and those looking to maximize their core strength. The system also comes with wall mount installation brackets for more security, an instruction manual, and exercise books and videos. The full pull up bar system is 42” x 48” x 3.”
- Height adjustable pull up bar system
- Can perform over 150 different exercises
- Wall mount installation brackets for a more secure fit
- Comes with instruction manual with exercise book and videos
- Takes up a lot of space
11. Stamina Power Tower Home Gym, Red
The Stamina Power Tower Home Gym is a relatively affordable workout system that not only doesn’t consume a lot of space but proves to be an effective piece of equipment for chin-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, vertical knee raises, and more. Build from a solid steel construction, it can last for years under the right care. The exterior of the power tower’s steel frame is covered in rubber grips and cushions for a more comfortable workout. The system is 51” x 27” x 4” and weighs 76 pounds.
- Doesn’t consume a lot of ground space
- Exterior padding for longer workout routines
- Solid steel build
- Great for chin-ups, pull-ups, and other various forms of exercise
- Screws can be unreliable after setting up
- Back cushion constantly shifts
10. Cap Barbell Ultimate Power Cage With Performance Pack
The Cap Barbell Ultimate Power Cage is the ultimate standing pull up bar system, made of a durable steel, making the perfect fit for any commercial or large home gym setting. With plenty of different workout stations to use in this system, it holds a strong environment for any exercise routine. From pull-ups to sit-ups and more, you will be glad to know the cost of the device will reflect well on your daily workout regimen.
- Can be used as a trainer and weight lifting cage
- Entirely constructed of a durable steel frame
- Can be used as different exercise workout stations
- Perfect for commercial gym uses
- Takes up a lot of space
9. Ancheer Adjustable Power Tower for Home Gym
The Ancheer Adjustable Power Tower is an affordable home gym system build of a durable steel frame with anti-rust paint. It has 4 different adjustable heights depending on your workout and is perfect for building back, arm, shoulder, and chest muscles. It also has rubber handles for ease of use during more extensive exercise regimens. In addition, the Ancheer pull up system is great for home or commercial gym settings and can withhold up to 350 pounds.
- 4 different adjustable heights
- Built of durable steel with anti-rust paint
- Great for building back, arm, shoulder, and chest muscles
- Can withhold up to 350 pounds
- Twisted frame
- Handles are much thinner than most other pull up bar systems
8. Body Max Body Champ Power Tower
The Body Max’s Body Champ Power Tower is truly a powerhouse workout tool for those looking for a full body workout. Built from a durable metal frame with softened pads for longer workouts, under proper care the system can last for years in strengthening your muscles. Although the tower, in general, only takes up a small amount of space, it can seriously help condition your knees, legs, chest, and arms. In addition, the Champ Power Tower is 58.5” x 46.5” x 83” and weighs 88 pounds.
- Special vertical knee and leg raise station
- D frame for added stability
- Push up bar to help condition chest and arm muscles
- Comfortable padding for longer workout sessions
- Bars are thinner than most pull up systems
- Grips tend to deteriorate quickly
7. ProGear 275 Extended Weight Capacity Power Tower Fitness Station
The ProGear 275 has a unique design that will benefit both beginners and experts alike. It has a durable frame, stabilizing legs, and cushions for comfort. Perhaps the most unique feature of this pull up bar is the multiple grip capability that allows you to vary your workout.
- Added comfort
- Non-slip feet
- Options for multiple hand positions
- Not made for tall people
- Some parts do not align correctly
6. Cap Barbell Deluxe Power Rack
The Cap Barbell Deluxe is a pretty good pull up bar for those looking for a basic workout. This is also a good option for those you want to lift weights as well because of the barbell holder. It is made of a durable, powder coated steel that can support up to 300 pounds. The Cap Barbell Deluxe also sports a compact design and sturdy build.
- 300 lb weight capacity
- Best for weight lifters
- Poor quality construction
- Packaging often damaged
5. Bowflex Body Tower
This free standing bar provides its users with a powerful workout. This equipment is compact, stable, and can support up to 300 pounds. The Bowflex comes with sling straps, hand grips, and a cushioned back pad. This bar is incredibly versatile, giving its users the option of completely more than 20 different exercise moves. It is also highly adjustable.
- Can perform over 20 different exercises
- Can support up to 300 lbs
- Difficult to assemble
- A little shaky
4. Body Vision PT600 Power Tower
The Body Vision PT600 is a versatile piece of exercise equipment that can be used by people of all skill levels. It has a variety of workout stations including a pull up and a dip station. It features non-slip feet for a sturdy workout, durable construction, and extra padding for comfort.
- Adjustable for different heights
- Padded arm and back cushions
- Multiple stations
- 250 lb weight limit
- Difficult to assemble
- Might be too wide for some people
3. Cap Barbell Power Rack Exercise Stand
The Cap Barbell Power Rack is a great choice for those on a budget who are looking for something simple. The frame is made of a thick powder coated steel that provides durability and stability. The most unique feature of this pull up bar is the barbell holder, which is perfect if you want to vary your workout with some weightlifting.
- Reinforced structure
- Built for comfort and safety
- Simple pull up bar without the special features
- Bar not adjustable
2. Weider Power Tower
Brought to you by Arnold Schwarzenegger’s trainer Joe Weider, the Weider Power Tower is a great option for those looking for a high powered workout machine. This pull up bar features pull up, push up, vertical knee raise, and dip stations. It features a durable steel frame and has a weight capacity of 300 lbs. It is adjustable, padded hand grips, and an independent utility bench.
- Padded hand grips for comfort
- 300 pound weight capacity
- Durable build
- Huge range of exercise features
- Difficult to assemble
- Not made for weighted body exercises
1. Stamina 1690 Power Tower
The best free standing pull up bar available for purchase in 2017 is the Stamina 1690. This bar features a high quality steel frame for durability and soft hand grips for comfort. With this bar, you can do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, chin ups, tricep dips, and any variation of those movements. It has a 49” by 42” footprint and can support up to 250 pounds. Additionally, the Stamina 1690 has non-slip end caps that will protect you from a wobbly structure and your floors from potential scratches.
- Non-slip feet
- Can be used to do a variety of different exercises
- Wobbles during certain exercises
- Often missing parts when shipped
You should now have a thorough understanding of not only what to look for in a free standing pull up bar, but also a few great options to choose from. It is all a matter of your personal preference and needs to determine which bar is right for you.