Measurement has entered the 21st century with the laser measurement tool. In the old days, you’d have to use stakes, measuring sticks, tape measures, and chalk in order to be as precise as possible. There are few things more precise than lasers, so this evolution of the measurement tool has provided amazingly accurate measurements for people doing work on sites and in their homes.
What to Look For
Not every laser measuring tool is perfect. Laser measuring tools transmit a laser to a preset point so that you can achieve an accurate gauge on the distance to that object. With this in mind, your tool should have these features:
- Memory: Being able to store job information is very useful.
- Long battery life: As you might expect, having a tool conk out on you after a few hours isn’t favorable.
- Backlit and clear display: Backlighting is very useful in a laser measurement tool. It allows you to easily read your display in situations where there isn’t a lot of ambient light. Also, your display should be nice and clear so that you can read it easily.
The below are top 15 laser measuring tools reviews in 2017:
- 15. Leica Disto E7500 500 foot Laser Distance Measure
- 14. Bosch GLM 10 Compact Laser Measure
- 13. Leica DISTO E7100i 200ft Laser Distance Measure
- 12. Bosch GLR825 Laser Distance Measurer
- 11. Leica DISTO E7400x 265 foot Laser Distance Meter
- 10. UNI-T LD40 Digital Laser Distance Meter
- 9. Autodoctor Laser Distance Measurer
- 8. Bosch GLM 50 C Bluetooth Enabled Laser Distance Measure
- 7. Leica DISTO D2 New 330ft Laser Distance Measure
- 6. DMiotech Laser Distance Measure 131ft 40m Mini Handheld Digital Laser Distance Meter
- 5. Bosch GLM 35 Laser Measure
- 4. DEWALT DW03050 165-Feet Laser Distance Measurer
- 3. Bosch GLM 80 265-Feet Lithium-Ion Laser Distance Measurer
- 2. Bosch GLM 15 Compact Laser Measure
- 1. Leica DISTO D810 Touch 660ft Laser Distance Measurer
15. Leica Disto E7500 500 foot Laser Distance Measure
Our first laser distance measure is from Leica Disto, a company that appears quite a few times in this guide due to its quality leaser distance measures. One of the best features of the Leica Disto E7500 is its crystal clear color screen. It’s very easy to see what is being displayed on this screen due to its simplified and large number display. It also has a 360 degree tilt sensor so that you can quickly and easily measure angles and horizontal distances.
- This product has a very intuitive and easy to read interface.
- The display is crisp and easy to read. It’s also bright enough to use in poor lighting.
- This Bluetooth device connects easily with smartphones so that you can transfer and store measurement data.
- Without any glare protection, this unit can be very hard to read in the bright sun.
- The scanner has a tendency to generate errors.
14. Bosch GLM 10 Compact Laser Measure
There are few worksite-friendly manufacturers that are as well known as Bosch. The GLM 10 is designed with a simple one-button operation in mind. Despite this simplicity, there is a good range of function in this very portable laser measurement device. It can measure up to 35 feet and is accurate to within a eighth of an inch.
- Fits easily in a pocket or in a pouch.
- Its continuous measurement mode is very accurate.• The display is somewhat easy to read.
- The display isn’t backlit
- The button would be better on the side.
13. Leica DISTO E7100i 200ft Laser Distance Measure
Our second Leica Disto product has an impressive measuring range of 200 feet. In addition to this, it also comes with Bluetooth connectivity so that you can receive updates on your smartphone. The software for transfer of information is very flexible, which is perfect when new apps become available. Additionally, the distance measure is also dust and splash-proof.
- This device can quickly determine the area of a rectangle or square.
- This is a very compact device.
- It’s not the best outdoor device; the display can be hard to read.
- The laser can be hard to find in the bright sun.
12. Bosch GLR825 Laser Distance Measurer
This particular device has a truly impressive range of 825 feet. Once you are ready to make your measurements, you will also be able to choose from 11 different modes, which gives a feeling of versatility. If you use the Pythagorean Theorem with this device, you can get some of the most precise measurements available on a device of this type.
- This device has a very easy to read display.
- It has a 1.6 x magnification viewfinder.
- It’s not a very durable device.
- Not the easiest to read device when viewed in bright environments.
11. Leica DISTO E7400x 265 foot Laser Distance Meter
Durability is one of the best features of the Leica Disto 7400x. In fact, you can drop this device from a distance of six feet without worrying about damage to the unit. It’s also IP65 rated, which means that it can withstand dust and a moderate amount of moisture. It also has a range of 100 meters, which is very useful for most jobs.
- It has a 360 degree tilt sensor so that vertical values can be calculated easily.
- It display is very clear.
- Sunlight can cause problems when trying to find the laser.
10. UNI-T LD40 Digital Laser Distance Meter
This Uni-T product is one of the most compact units in our guide. In fact, the product is only 6.6 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches in total, which means that it can easily fit in a tool belt, pocket, or pouch. For its size, the LD40 has a particularly large display that is fairly easy to read in most situations. Its measuring distance is about 40 meters or about 132 feet, which isn’t bad for such a compact unit.
- It has a continuous measurement feature.
- The LD40 features a leveling component on its side.
- Doesn’t let you measure sloping angles.
- There’s a fairly complex way to change the unit of measure.
9. Autodoctor Laser Distance Measurer
If you find yourself in a low of low-light situations, the Autodoctor Laser Distance Measurer might be the perfect device for your measurement needs. Its backlight is definitely bright enough to be useable in almost any situation and it also has a very portable form factor that will let it be taken with you in a tool pouch or pocket.
- It has a 230 foot range.
- It keeps a steady accuracy of 2mm, which is great over extensive ranges.
- It’s so feature rich that it can be difficult to learn fully.
- The batteries can drain in the device, even when it’s not in use.
8. Bosch GLM 50 C Bluetooth Enabled Laser Distance Measure
This is a nice mid-range laser measurement tool that has a good feeling of balance. It measure up to 165 feet, which is a good range of measurement. It also has an accuracy of 1/16 of an inch, which is very accurate by any measure. The device also has a memory that can store 30 measurements and also has Bluetooth functionality so that you can pair it with mobile devices.
- The backlighting on this device is easy to see and features good contrast.
- It has a built-in bubble level, which is a nice bit of extra functionality for home and professional jobs.
- It has a somewhat awkward interface.
- Android app for the tool is a bit buggy.
7. Leica DISTO D2 New 330ft Laser Distance Measure
This device is one of the most ergonomic products in this guide. It has a soft-touch coating that feels very comfortable to use in most situations. Simply applying pressure to the button will cause the device to measure volumes, calculate from the edge of corners, and adjust the readout to display the measurement in real time.
- The backlighting is very strong, which makes it great for visibility.
- Has a measurement range of 200 feet.
- It’s very comfortable.
- Fractions don’t display that well on the screen.
6. DMiotech Laser Distance Measure 131ft 40m Mini Handheld Digital Laser Distance Meter
The device is 4.7x2x1.2 inches, which ensures a very portable design that’s perfect for the worksite. It also has the ability to quickly switch from meters, inches, and feet; while other devices have this feature, it’s very seamless on this product. The device can also automatically calculate area and volume as well.
- It has a range of 40 meters or 131 feet.
- It is also very accurate; its accuracy is set at 1.5mm.
- The beeping function that rings out after a measurement can’t be shut off.
- Ordinary daylight makes the laser hard to see.
5. Bosch GLM 35 Laser Measure
With a great range of 120 feet, this device is an excellent product to use in most work situation. In addition to its distance feature, this product also gives readouts for length and volume as well. Larger numbers are really a great benefit on this product; couple this with a good backlight and its versatility makes this an excellent product to select.
- With an accuracy of plus or minus 1/16th of an inch, this is a great product for people who need precise measurements.
- For its size, a 120 foot range is amazing.
- Like some other Bosch products, the fractions of an inch readouts are too small.
4. DEWALT DW03050 165-Feet Laser Distance Measurer
This device is designed to measure 50 meters or 165 feet. The backlit display is relatively bright, which is good for low light worksites. One of the best features of this is the fact that it has a three-year warranty that illustrates the commitment that DeWalt has to its quality and customer support.
- This device is durable; it can be dropped a full two meters without damage.
- This device has a reputation for being very accurate (1/16th of an inch).
- This is not a day-friendly product. You’ll lose the laser during the day.
- It only works well at short distances.
3. Bosch GLM 80 265-Feet Lithium-Ion Laser Distance Measurer
This Bosch product has a significant range of 265 feet, which is perfect for most job situations. The buttons are durable and have a very responsive feel that provides some tactile response when in use. This device also has a great battery; it can take 25,000 measurements on a single charge.
- This product has a backlit display that’s fairly bright.
- With an accuracy of 1/16th of an inch, you’ll have some precise measurements with this product.
- It has a tilt sensor that allows for indirect measurements that are very accurate.
- This device isn’t very sturdy; it has a tendency to feel a bit cheap.
2. Bosch GLM 15 Compact Laser Measure
This product is another compact unit with a wide variety of professional-grade features. First amongst these is its ability to constantly update the range of the target until you lock it in with a button press. Its small size means that this is a great product for at-home work.
- It’s pretty accurate for a small unit; it has an accuracy of 1/8th of an inch.
- It’s small enough to be used with one hand, which is great because it has a one-button operation.
- It’s not really rated for professional jobs that require more accuracy.
1. Leica DISTO D810 Touch 660ft Laser Distance Measurer
The Leica Distro has the ability to reach well over 600 feet, which is the highest range in this guide. This extended range makes this perfect for those who are working on larger personal projects or who are using this as a professional measurement tool. Since it’s impossible to see this far with the naked eye, the product also has a 4x zoom digital camera that can help you accurately measure.
- This is a professional-grade device with an extremely long range of 660 feet.
- This is a very accurate product that is precise to a degree of 1/16th of an inch.
- With such high-end features, it’s a bit expensive.
- The case for this model is only held on via a Velcro strap.
Wrapping it Up
We live in an era where we can have very precise measurements with a dedicated laser measurement tool. These products have a great degree of functionality and will all work for different types of jobs. Consider what you’ll be doing, reread our reviews, and select the best laser measure tool for what you need to get done.