A swimming pool cover reel is used to aid in the removal and placement of the solar cover for your pools. These reels can be freestanding or mounted. They can also be made of different materials such as aluminum, plastic, or stainless steel. It’s important that users find the best reel for their specific needs. Some reels may be specifically for an in-ground pool while others are designated for above ground pools. Some cover reels may even be used for for both in-ground and above ground pools. In this article, we will look at 15 of the best covers and look at some of their features as well as the pros and cons, and any issues users may have with the specific reel, but first, let’s take a look at some of the things to look for in a reel.
What to Look for in a Swimming Pool Cover Reel
The first thing to look at when considering buying a swimming pool cover reel is what kind of pool you have. Many reels are made for either in-ground or above ground pools. Make sure you are getting a cover that works with the kind of pool you have. It’s also important to look at the sizes each reel fits. The reel needs to be able to accommodate the width and the length of your pool cover. Next, you should decide if you need a freestanding reel or mounted. A freestanding reel can be moved around and may have wheels or casters to aid in the movement. Some need to be mounted. They are more study, but will require you to drill holes in your pool or deck. These are some of the main features to look at when narrowing your search. Now, let’s take a look at the reviews.
Here are the 15 best swimming pool reels for all types of covers and pools:
- 15. Deluxe Low Profile Solar Reel
- 14. Kokido Alux Aluminum Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- 13. Poly Tarp – 28 ft. Wide Pool Solar Reel Protective Cover
- 12. Doheny’s Deluxe Over the Ground Solar Pool Cover Reel System
- 11. 18 ft. Winter Cover for Pool Solar Reel and Blanket
- 10. Kokido APOLLO In-Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel Set
- 9. Kokido Solaris Above-Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- 8. Powered Pool Solar Blanket Reel by Pool Boy
- 7. Above Ground Solar Reel for Swimming Pool
- 6. Rocky’s 3A Pool Solar Reel
- 5. SOLAR ROLLER
- 4. Sun2Solar Stainless Steel Frame Solar Cover Reel
- 3. ARKSEN Cover Reel
- 2. Kokido Stainless Steel Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- 1. Aqua Splash Swimming Pool Solar Cover Blanket Reel
15. Deluxe Low Profile Solar Reel
The Deluxe Low Profile Solar Reel is make for pools from 12 feet up to 16 feet. It is triangular shaped to help stabilize the reel and keep it from tipping over or falling into the pool. All the necessary parts are included so there will be no added costs for this product. It is stated that it is a one person reel, however many user have stated that it is much easier to operate with two. It has also been a concern that the reel is a little small for 16 foot pools. There are no sharp edges on this reel which helps to preserve the life of your cover.
- All inclusive
- Triangular shape for stability
- Smooth edges don’t damage cover
- Difficult to use with one person
- Too small for a 16 foot pool.
14. Kokido Alux Aluminum Swimming Pool Cover Reel
The Kokido Alux Aluminum Pool Cover is a very aesthetically pleasing reel. It is definitely not an eyesore like many reels can be. It can be used for cover up to 21 feet, and features large locking wheels that make it easy to roll away when needed, but it can also be kept in place so there is not movement when trying to roll up your cover. The reel is complete with a hand crack to assist the user in rolling up the pool cover. Users have noticed that the tube holding the cover bows when the pool cover is completely rolled up.
- Locking wheels
- Nice to look at
- Hand crank
- Tubing bows
- Lightweight materials can crack under cover weight
13. Poly Tarp – 28 ft. Wide Pool Solar Reel Protective Cover
The Poly Tarp Solar Reel Protective Cover is a vinyl cover that allows you to protect your solar cover while on the reel. It measure 40 inches and can be used on solar covers up to 28 feet so it is plenty large enough for most pools. User say it is very durable, however, the used to close it is not strong enough to hold the cover on the pool especially when wet.
- Durable vinyl
- Large enough for most pools
- Velcro does not stay fastened
12. Doheny’s Deluxe Over the Ground Solar Pool Cover Reel System
The Doheny’s Deluxe Over the Ground Solar Pool Cover Reel System is a reel that can be installed directly on the pool wall or deck. It has the ability to be swiveled away while to pool is in use so it does not take up room in your pool. It fits pools up to 18 feet and can be used for round or oval shaped pools. This cover reel is very durable and well-made, but the instructions are very basic and hard to follow.
- Durable design
- Can be installed directly on the pool
- Swivels away during pool use
- Hard to follow instructions
11. 18 ft. Winter Cover for Pool Solar Reel and Blanket
The 18 ft. Winter Cover for Pool Solar Reel and Blanket allows you to leave your reel and solar cover outside even during the winter. It zips up and is waterproof to completely protect your cover and reel from the elements. It can fit pools up to 18 ft and is made of a durable vinyl material, however, some have found it to be too short.
- Allows you to leave reel and cover outside
- Too short for 18 foot pool.
10. Kokido APOLLO In-Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel Set
The Kokido APOLLO In-Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel is an aluminum reel with plastic accessories. It fits cover up to 19.5 feet. The reel can be directly installed to the deck to make for more stability. The reel is resin covered which keeps the product from rusting. The plastic parts are not as durable so they may crack when holding heavier covers.
- Can be installed directly to the deck
- Plastic pieces are not durable enough for heavy covers.
9. Kokido Solaris Above-Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel
The Kokido Solaris Above-Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel is an aluminum reel made to be attached directly to the side of your pool. It can fit a cover of up to 18.6 feet. The reel is anti-rust which makes it longer lasting. It also feature a crank to aide in rolling up your cover. Users have stated that the plastic becomes brittle from being in the sun and the directions are not detailed enough.
- Attach directly to pool
- Plastic becomes brittle
- Under detailed directions.
8. Powered Pool Solar Blanket Reel by Pool Boy
The Powered Pool Solar Blanket Reel by Pool Boy is an electric reel which allows you to roll up your reel with the push of a button. It can fit a solar cover up to 20 feet and includes a floating remote so you never lose your remote to the bottom of the pool. This cover reel made of aluminum for lightweight durability. It also features manual override in case the motor ever fails. It is a process to set up, but once you do it takes very little time or effort to use.
- Remote included
- Electric powered for easy use
- Manual override
- Set up is lengthy.
7. Above Ground Solar Reel for Swimming Pool
The Above Ground Solar Reel” by Leisure Living is an aluminum and plastic reel that can be attached to your pool or deck. It can fit pool covers 24 feet and smaller. The poles are 3 inches in diameter for plenty of durability when holding the entire solar cover, but many users have found that the instructions are not detailed enough to figure out how to use put together the product.
- Durable materials
- Large enough for most pools
- Attaches directly to pool or deck
- Difficult instructions
6. Rocky’s 3A Pool Solar Reel
The Rocky In Ground Reel is made for pools up to 20 feet wide. It is attached to castors to for easy roll away when it is not being used. It is made from aluminum with an enamel finish to keep the aluminum from rusting. The inner tubing is 3 inches in diameter which helps with durability when the solar cover is rolled up. Some users found it difficult to assemble.
- Aluminum makes for lightweight durability
- Castors make for easy roll away when not in use.
- Difficult to assemble
5. SOLAR ROLLER
The Solar Roller is a reel that allows you to roll a cover for an in-ground or above-ground pool. It rolls from the middle which takes the strain off of the cover and helps to extend your product’s life. It does not have to be connected to anything so there are no holes drilled into your pool or deck and can be moved away when not in use. The roller is kind of flimsy and can break after a while.
- Does not require any holes in your pool or deck
- Easy to roll away when not in use
- Can be used on above-ground or in-ground pools
- Flimsy material break after a while.
4. Sun2Solar Stainless Steel Frame Solar Cover Reel
The Sun2 Solar Stainless Steel Frame Reel is a durable reel that is made for pool cover up to 20 feet. It has large wheels for easy maneuverability. The inner tube is 3.25 for added durability when holding the cover. It has a large clearance from the ground so your cover will not drag. Some have said that the straps included are difficult the figure out, although initial set-up is simple.
- Stainless steel frame
- Large wheels
- Easy Set up
- Straps are difficult to figure out.
3. ARKSEN Cover Reel
The ARKSEN Solar Cover Reel is a stainless steel reel for pools 20 feet or smaller, however it is reported that the cover does not work well for pool covers over 16 feet. The wheels allow the reel to be moved out of the way quickly and easily. It can be used for above-ground or in-ground pools for added convenience.
- Can be used for above or in-ground pools.
- Wheels for easy moving
- Hand crank helps to roll up the cover
- Does not work well over 16 feet.
2. Kokido Stainless Steel Swimming Pool Cover Reel
The Kokido Stainless Steel Reel is made for pools 18 feet or smaller. It is made from stainless steel for a rust free finish and durability. It includes straps to hold the cover in place and a crank for ease of rolling up the cover. The reel has been know to easily strip screws which makes it difficult to keep together.
- Wheels make moving it easy
- Hand crank allows for easy roll up
- Screws strip easily
1. Aqua Splash Swimming Pool Solar Cover Blanket Reel
The Aqua Splash Swimming Pool Solar Cover Blanket Reel is a versatile reel that can be mounted or freestanding. It can fit pools up to 16 feet and includes a hand crank for easy rolling up. Users have said that it is difficult to put together and it has durability issues. The sides of the reel fall off on occasions.
- Hand crank for easy rolling up
- Versatile in use
- Not very durable
- Difficult to set up
Each of the reels have many good qualities depending on the kind of reel you are looking for. For ultimate convenience, the Pool Boy would be great simple because it is electric and you can roll at the push of the button. Something for easy remove-ability that can be placed out of the way could be the Solar Roller. Some may need a mounted reel. If this is the case, the Above Ground Solar Reel is a great choice. All of the reels have pros and cons, and will work better with a certain pool.