Want the durability of a mountain bike with the speed of a road bike? Unfortunately, it’s impossible to do both, but you can get as close as possible with a hybrid bike.
A hybrid bike is exactly what it sounds like: a general purpose bike built for either roads or dirt, usually with a flat handlebar, like you would find with mountain bikes, and a drop bar that is commonly found on road bikes.
This combination allows for a more upright riding position, which compromises speed but often feels safer, especially in traffic. The tires are generally bigger than road bikes, but a lot of the other attributes vary from model to model.
It should be remembered that hybrid bikes, by virtue of their functionality, are moderately suited for a wide-range of activities, but master none of them. If you know exactly what you want a bike for, get the one that is most suited for that purpose. Otherwise, hybrid bikes can make a great addition to any garage.
5. Mongoose Reform Comp 700C Dual Sport Hybrid Bicycle
The Mongoose Reform is a great dual-purpose hybrid bike, allowing you to switch from the road to the trail with ease. The aluminum frame with sun tour NVX suspension fork gives the bike a responsive ride on even the bumpiest roads, and front and rear hydraulic disc brakes give the Mongoose plenty of stopping power. Throw in some wide handlebars and a 3D forged allow 31.8 mm stern, and you’ll always be in control of your ride.
- Performs well no matter the road
- More comfortable than most
- More road than off-road build
- Top 8 Best Men Mountain Bikes 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Best Men Beach Cruiser Bikes 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Pink Beach Cruiser Bikes 2018 Reviews
- Top 5 Men Road Bikes 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Best Balance Bike for Toddlers 2018 Reviews
4. Giordano G7 Men’s Hybrid Bike
The Giordano is a simple aluminum frame hybrid with 50mm alloy chrome suspension forks and adjustable riser in the stern for the maximum amount of comfort. Throw in a 21 speed Shimano shifter and derailleurs with a seat post that has suspension inside, and you’ve got a men’s hybrid bike that was tailor made for commuters. This bike is not ideal for taller riders though, as anyone above 6’2″ may have a hard time getting on and off the Giardano. Still, a great price on an above-quality hybrid.
- Superior quality in construction
- Lighter weight
- Not made for taller riders
- Assembly instructions are severely lacking
3. Mongoose Men’s Banish 2.0 Hybrid Bike
Another offering on this list from Mongoose, the Banish 2.0 hybrid boasts a lightweight aluminum frame on black alloy wheels with a strong front shock. The Banish also comes with a 21-gear Shimano shifter and derailleur, with front and rear disc brakes plus three piece cranks and beach cruiser pedals for maximum control. Unfortunately, the quality doesn’t seem to be quite up to snuff, with chips and scuffs appearing sooner than expected – sometimes even in shipping.
- Attractive look
- Lot of features for entry-level bike
- Quality in some parts is sub-par
- Shipping and customer service leave some things to be desired
2. Schwinn Men’s Volare 1200 Bike, 700c
Schwinn is a name that’s been around for a long time, so it makes sense that they would find themselves on a list mens hybrid bikes. Their offering is a solid entry-level bike that boasts a solid aluminum frame with rigid fork and alloy linear pull brakes. The Shimano 21 speed EZ shifter and derailleur are ideal for a hybrid bike, but the other components are lower model, which is reflected in the lower price tag.
- Cheaper than most
- Easily upgradable
- Faulty tires initially
- Can be uncomfortable on longer rides
1. Schwinn Men’s Network 3.0 700C Wheel Men’s Hybrid Bicycle
The top bike on this list is also a Schwinn, with higher quality in parts and construction. The Network 3.0 boasts all of the major components of the previous model, such as the Shimano 21 speed shifter and strong allow rims with aluminum frame and suspension fork, but also adds a swept back handlebar that makes it ideal for riding upright. Throw in a super comfortable seat and a reasonable price tag, and you have winner.
- Great value
- High quality parts
- Questionable customer service
- Hard to adjust in places