The kitchen is arguably the most suitable place for a garbage can. So much trash is generated in this room, whether through cooking or consuming or spilling food. Kitchen garbage cans make life easier and cleaner, which is why many people consider them to be a necessity.
When choosing a trash can for your kitchen, one thing to consider is whether the trash can has a foot pedal or not. Pedals make things more sanitary and allow for easy opening when your hands are full. Even better, consider an automatic hand sensor to make things even easier. Another thing to consider is the trash can’s appearance. Sure, functionality is the main concern, but you want your trash can to look good with the kitchen color scheme. There are so many factors to consider that maybe you are exhausted by the thought of finding the perfect trash can. Lucky for you, we’ve picked out the best ten cans for your kitchen and reviewed them below:
- 10. Umbra Brim Large Kitchen Trash Can with Stainless Steel Foot Pedal
- 9. Simplehuman Slim Step Trash Can in Black Plastic
- 8. Simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can in Stainless Steel
- 7. Simplehuman Round Step Trash Can in Stainless Steel with Plastic Lid
- 6. BestOffice TC-1350R 13-Gallon Touch-free Sensor Automatic Stainless-Steel Trash Can
- 5. Simplehuman Mini Round Step Trash Can in White Steel
- 4. NINESTARS DZT-70-11R The Original Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can/Recycler
- 3. Simplehuman Slim Plastic Step Trash Can
- 2. Simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can in Black Plastic
- 1. iTouchless Deodorizer Automatic Sensor Touchless Trash Can
10. Umbra Brim Large Kitchen Trash Can with Stainless Steel Foot Pedal
The first garbage can on our list comes from Umbra. David Quan designed this can to have a modern look. The smooth black color looks good in any kitchen and keeps the trash can looking clean. The silver foot pedal is a nice touch.
- Includes a foot pedal
- Attractive yet minimalist
- Large 13-gallon capacity
- Some report that the lid won’t open if the trash can is resting against a wall
- May be too bulky for some people
9. Simplehuman Slim Step Trash Can in Black Plastic
This trash can is much tinier than the first one on our list. Its capacity is only 2.6 gallons. However, that may be ideal if you don’t have much space or if you would like to place your can in a cabinet. Like the first trash can, it is black and should blend in with most kitchen interiors.
- Foot pedal
- Doesn’t take up much space
- Some may not appreciate the small capacity
- Doesn’t contain an internal bucket to help with trash disposal
8. Simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can in Stainless Steel
This trash can is similar to the last trash can on our list, which was also from simplehuman. The most noticeable difference between the two is the color; this one is silver. It is made of stainless steel as a change from the Slim Step’s plastic.
- Internal trash bucket to help with disposal
- Foot pedal
- Very small capacity
7. Simplehuman Round Step Trash Can in Stainless Steel with Plastic Lid
This simplehuman trash can is designed for efficiency. Maybe there’s nothing special about its look, but it has several features that make life easier. These features include a rim that grips trash bags tightly to keep them from slipping; a lid engineered specifically for silence; and a durable foot pedal. This trash can’s capacity is greater than that of the last two simplehuman products: 8 gallons.
- Has a foot pedal strong enough to withstand 20 years of stepping
- Lid closes quietly
- Cylindrical shape may make it difficult to place in corners and against walls.
6. BestOffice TC-1350R 13-Gallon Touch-free Sensor Automatic Stainless-Steel Trash Can
This trash can from BestOffice might not have a foot pedal, but it has something even better: a touch-free sensor. That’s right, the future is now. To open the trash can, simply hover your hand or a piece of trash over the sensor. The can closes on its own if it detects nothing in front of it for three seconds. This trash can boasts a 13-gallon capacity.
- Touch-free sensor!
- Large capacity
- Some buyers complain that the sensor is too sensitive or not sensitive enough
5. Simplehuman Mini Round Step Trash Can in White Steel
Another model from simplehuman, the mini white steel trash can is even smaller than the mini trash cans mentioned earlier on our list. Its capacity is a minuscule 1.2 gallons. However, this may be ideal if you want a can that will fit into a cabinet space.
- Steel foot pedal
- Interior bucket for easy trash disposal
- Small enough to fit into very tight spaces
- White is a risky color, as it could leave the can prone to stains
- Very small and does not hold much trash.
4. NINESTARS DZT-70-11R The Original Touchless Automatic Motion Sensor Trash Can/Recycler
The second trash can on our list to feature an automatic sensor comes from NINESTARS. It works in a similar fashion to the BestOffice model; you just wave your hand or a piece of trash near the sensor, and the lid automatically opens. This is a very large trash can, holding up to 13 gallons of waste. Its silvery-black exterior looks good in almost any kitchen.
- Has a flat back so it can be placed up against a wall or counter
- Includes automatic hand sensor!
- Wide opening at the top so larger pieces of garbage won’t bounce out
- Many customers report that the lid doesn’t open or only partly opens
3. Simplehuman Slim Plastic Step Trash Can
This simplehuman garbage can comes in four different colors, so you’re sure to find something that fits your kitchen’s style. The lid is specially engineered to close silently. If you have kids or pets you want to keep from opening the can, you will appreciate the slide lock feature. This trash can has a large capacity of 13 gallons, but its slim shape means it can fit easily into tight spaces.
- Has wheels so you can easily move it around
- Has a large capacity yet can fit into narrow spaces
- Can be pet- and child-proofed
- May be difficult to assemble
2. Simplehuman Semi-Round Step Trash Can in Black Plastic
The last simplehuman can on our list is a lot like the slim plastic step trash can in that it comes in four colors, is engineered to close silently, and has a child-proof sliding lock. The main difference is the shape; this can may not fit into slim spaces, but it is ideal for placing against a wall or cabinet. It has a 13-gallon capacity.
- Foot pedal
- Large capacity
- Flat back so it can be placed against a wall or counter
- Sliding lock
- Assembling the lid may be difficult
1. iTouchless Deodorizer Automatic Sensor Touchless Trash Can
The final can on our list is a technological masterpiece. This antimicrobial garbage can has not only a hi-tech motion sensor but also a deodorizing filter system. It runs on either D batteries or an AC adapter. It doesn’t have an interior bucket, but it has air vents that make it easier to pull out the trash bag. Its capacity is 13 gallons.
- Wide opening so larger items fit easily
- Opens and closes quietly
- None! This trash can is a marvel of the modern kitchen.
So, there you have it: the ten best kitchen garbage cans reviewed for your convenience. Now you know what to look for in a garbage can, and you have a list of the best ones on the market today!