When you’re out camping, one of the best creature comforts is falling asleep to the sound of the wilderness. Yes, there isn’t anything more relaxing than the sound of owls hooting or the sound of crickets chirping, but one of the unfortunate aspects of the wilderness is that it rarely comes with a Tempurpedic bed. As a result, many campers bring a sleeping pad with their tent or they have inflatable mattresses that can make the trip more comfortable. In many situations, you still wake up a bit sore, which is why tent cots were created. These tents combine the comfort of a good cot with the outdoor-friendliness of a tent.
What You Should Look for in a Tent Cot
One of the most important aspects of a tent cot is its durability. You’ll be sleeping on these, so if they start to wear out after a few camping trips, then it was a waste of an investment. Tent cots should last for years. Also, the tent cot should be portable. You should be able to carry the tent easily from place to place without strain. Now, let’s take a look at 15 of the best camping tent cots on the market for 2017.
15. OUTAD Off Ground Backpacking Tent Cot
Weight and portability are important for just about any piece of camping gear, which is why the Outlad Off-Ground tent is an excellent product. First, it’s durable; it’s made of ripstop nylon that can take a beating from the elements. Secondly, it weighs less than six pounds, which makes it incredibly easy to carry around when it’s folded up.
- This is an elevated tent cot; you won’t have to worry about uneven ground or insect intruders.
- It is very durable and is even waterproof.
- The netting is very breathable, which helps you avoid feeling stuffed up in the morning.
- It takes a while to fully deploy.
- Its design doesn’t allow for a lot of privacy.
14. USA STAR Mountain Waterproof Tent Dome Outdoor Camping Instant Tents
A good tent should be able to keep you protected from the elements across more than a few seasons. This product is designed to work in most seasonal weather patterns save for winter, which makes it very useful for most campers. Additionally, it’s an instant tent which means that it deploys with a single touch.
- It weighs less than four pounds in totality.
- It’s large enough for most people.
- It’s a strong tent for most outdoor applications.
- It’s not really waterproof, so if you’re expecting bad weather, pick another tent.
- If you are taller than six feet, this may be uncomfortable.
13. Kamp-Rite Tent Cot Double Rainfly
This product is actually a great rainfly for a tent cot. It has an excellent design that will protect you from the harsh elements so that you can enjoy your trip away from civilization. In fact, this product is convenient enough to fit in most tent cot carry bags.
- This product even fits double-size tent cots.
- It’s very light; you’ll be able to carry it everywhere without really noticing its weight.
- It’s very quick to deploy.
- It could be a little roomier.
- It is very stuffy as well; you may have to keep it open, which isn’t great during a rain shower.
12. Integrity Bedding Extra Large 4″ Thick Orthopedic Memory Foam Camping Pad
Memory foam is one of the modern materials that has taken the world by storm. This space-age material conforms to your body and “remembers” how your body fits so that you are always comfortable. This pad is designed for your overall comfort and is made to fit perfectly in most tents.
- It’s designed in a camouflage style so that you can use it safely on hunting trips.
- It’s fully washable.
- This memory foam pad has three layers, which is very comfortable.
- This is a product that is a bit expensive.
- It’s thinner than advertised.
11. Atwater Carey Sleep Screen Pop-Up Mosquito-Net
One thing about the wilderness that many people can’t stand is the bugs, specifically the mosquitoes. With this in mind, Atwater Carey has developed this pop-up mosquito net that will keep you protected inside your tent from the pesky skeeters.
- This product is pre-treated with insect shield technology so that the bugs stay away.
- This is a very easy to setup product.
- It’s also completely scent-free.
- This product isn’t very comfortable at all.
- It can be a hassle to get in and out of.
10. Kamp-Rite Insect Protection System
Insects are the number one issue with camping and this Kamp-Rite product does a great job at significantly reducing the amount of biting insects during your camping trip. In fact, this protection system even includes a rain fly that will protect you from sudden downpours.
- This is a good system to keep you insect bite-free in most weather conditions.
- The mesh allows you to have an unimpeded view of the stars.
- It’s very lightweight and easy to travel with.
- Insect protection system doesn’t really cover this product’s uses; it also is a cot tent as well.
- It can potentially leak.
9. Kamp-Rite Compact Collapsible Tent Cot
Sometimes, when you’re camping, you need some elevation in order to be truly comfortable and insect-free. This Kamp-Rite product is a collapsible option that is also easy to pack away but will keep you more than a foot off of the ground.
- The material of this product is weatherproof and very durable.
- The cot and tent are actually independent.
- The mesh doors are designed to still provide privacy.
- This isn’t the best product for larger people.
- If you are on a surface with a lot of inclines and hills, it may not be the most comfortable solution.
8. Kamp-Rite Compact Extra-Large Tent Cot
Our next Kamp-Rite product is designed similarly to our previous one, but this time it has a larger design. In fact, this product has an impressive 400-pound weight capacity. Additionally, it has a storage hammock, which really adds convenience to your camping trip.
- This things capacity is very impressive.
- Most weather won’t get through the tent cot because of the very protective rain fly.
- It’s made of very strong and durable nylon.
- It can get a bit hot and stuffy inside of the tent.
- The zippers can be somewhat flimsy.
7. Outsunny Compact Portable Pop-Up Tent
If you’re looking for a nice, premium option, this Outsunny has a ton of great features for a tent cot. One of the most impressive is its ability to be taken down quickly and easily. Additionally, you can even separate the components so that you can sleep uncovered in the outdoors or sleep flush with the soil.
- The zippered entry is very well-protected and sturdy.
- It comes with an air mattress that also has a foot pump for easy inflation.
- It is very easy to unpack and pack into its compact form.
- It’s a bit heavy at 25 pounds.
- The air mattress isn’t very protected from punctures.
6. Kamp-Rite Tent Cot Original Size Tent Cot
This product is another Kamp-Rite tent cot that performs exceptionally during camping trips. While it is a one-person product, this tent cot has several comfort features that make camping out exceptional. First, it rests 11 inches off of the ground, which ensures that you won’t have issues with pebbles or creepy crawlies. Additionally, this product can support occupants that weigh up to 300 pounds.
- It can be used as either a cot or a lounge chair, which is perfect for backyard setup.
- The rainfly really protects you from the elements.
- It comes apart and packs away easily.
- At 24 pounds, it’s rather heavy.
5. TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent
This Teton cot is designed to be set up quickly, which can be a big benefit for last-minute campers. It also has some great cot functionality that will give you some elevation above the wet soil and any insects inside. While the cot itself isn’t included, this product does have a rainfly that will keep you nice and dry.
- This is a rugged pop-up quick tent.
- It has several weatherproof layers for a truly dry experience.
- It’s very comfortable and breathable inside.
- The bright yellow coloration isn’t for everyone.
4. Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent
This tent is designed with a family in mind. It is very large and is actually designed to be used in the most intense weather conditions that you can think of. While this tent doesn’t come with cots included, it has more than enough room for several.
- This tent has rooms for family members to camp out.
- It is just about impenetrable when it comes to weather.
- It can splinter during setup. Fortunately, the manufacturer is good on replacements.
3. Kamp-Rite Double TentCot
As another Kamp-Rite product that’s designed to keep you high and dry, this double tent cot is perfect for providing a comfortable experience during your excursions. If fact, it’s even a great tent for a couple; it can hold up to 500 pounds at a time, which should accommodate most people. Additionally, the rainfly is very weather-resistant, which means that you shouldn’t have to worry too much about moisture from above or below.
- This is a tent with an excellent capacity.
- It’s elevated at a full 11 inches off the ground, which will protect you from moisture, bugs, or even snakes.
- The entire structure is very durable.
- This doesn’t have an apex vent, which means that it can be stuffy.
- Condensation can develop at the top of the tent’s ceiling and rain down again on the occupants.
2. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot
Kamp-Rite definitely makes a sturdy tent cot. This particular product has a heavy duty outer layer that is comprised of 210D nylon. This nylon layer is also perfect for negating the effects of most bad weather as well. Additionally, this tent is also easy to set up; it should take less than a minute to get ready. In addition to this, this tent can comfortably fit two people, so it’s perfect for a couple in a pinch.
- Like all Kamp-Rite products, it comes with an insulation pad.
- It is elevated a full 11 inches off of the ground.
- It’s simple to set up quickly.
- This product is fairly heavy. Even though it folds up, you might struggle a bit on the trip to the campsite.
- Air can get trapped inside, making a stuffy interior.
1. SansBug 1-Person Free-Standing Pop-Up Mosquito-Net
This mosquito net is designed to fit comfortably on top of a cot so that you can spend your camping trip safe from bugs, snakes, and any other creepy crawly that is a little bit too curious. Additionally, it is exceptionally light; the entire net only weighs about 2.5 pounds. One of its best features is its ability to pop up almost instantly into shape, which makes it a cinch to set up.
- The poles are fiberglass, which makes them durable and lightweight.
- The polyester mesh used in this product is especially protected against smaller insects.
- It can also easily fit an air mattress.
- This product doesn’t really fit in a carry-on.
- It isn’t a rainproof option.
Wrapping it Up
Tent cots are a great option for keeping your camping trip a comfortable experience. There’s a lot going on in the wilderness, so selecting the right tent cot will help you manage some of the environmental factors that could ruin your trip. They’ll keep you warm, dry, and will greatly cut down the chance of bites from bugs or worse.
- What You Should Look for in a Tent Cot
- 15. OUTAD Off Ground Backpacking Tent Cot
- 14. USA STAR Mountain Waterproof Tent Dome Outdoor Camping Instant Tents
- 13. Kamp-Rite Tent Cot Double Rainfly
- 12. Integrity Bedding Extra Large 4″ Thick Orthopedic Memory Foam Camping Pad
- 11. Atwater Carey Sleep Screen Pop-Up Mosquito-Net
- 10. Kamp-Rite Insect Protection System
- 9. Kamp-Rite Compact Collapsible Tent Cot
- 8. Kamp-Rite Compact Extra-Large Tent Cot
- 7. Outsunny Compact Portable Pop-Up Tent
- 6. Kamp-Rite Tent Cot Original Size Tent Cot
- 5. TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent
- 4. Browning Camping Big Horn Family/Hunting Tent
- 3. Kamp-Rite Double TentCot
- 2. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot
- 1. SansBug 1-Person Free-Standing Pop-Up Mosquito-Net