Mechanical pencils are the preferred tools of the trade for architects, engineers, artists, and calligraphic writers. However, numerous mechanical pencils are more suited to the normal day-to-day writing and drawing tasks of the average student.
15. BIC Pencil Medium Point Xtra Life 0.7mm 24-Count Mechanical Pencils
For the environmentally-conscious with a knack for saving money, the BIC Xtra Life Medium Point 24-count Value Pack is a great option. They are great money-savers, given that each mechanical pencil is equal to approximately two and a half wood case pencils (each pencil comes with three extra-strength #2 leads).
- Durably built despite being made from 76 % recycled material.
- Available in different designs that are suitable for use at home, school, or work.
- The quick and easy-to-use lead advance mechanism makes them fairly easy to use, even for younger writers.
- Suitable for young writers.
- Made out of recycled material.
- Features an easy-to-use lead advance mechanism.
- The 24-count pack offers a variety of pencil designs.
- Pocket-friendly price tag.
14. Pilot Dr. Grip Center of Gravity Charcoal Gray 0.7mm Mechanical Pencil
Pilot mechanical pencils provide amazing user comfort levels by being perfectly balanced all through. Mechanical pencils are even suitable. Its design makes it more than eligible for use by arthritis patients.
- The mechanical pencils are designed with equal weight distribution in mind to provide extra balance and writing comfort.
- A double-layer comfort grip drastically reduces writing stress.
- Features a charcoal gray barrel.
- The refillable design allows for continued use after the first lead point runs out.
- Balanced and comfortable to use.
- Easy to refill using the entry point behind the eraser.
- Easy to grip for arthritic hands.
13. Rotring 800 0.5mm Retractable Mechanical Pencil (Black barrel)
The Rotring 800 mechanical pencil is made for convenience and writing comfort. Among its top features is its retractable design that completely hides the lead point to make the pencil easier to pocket. It also features a durable and perfectly balanced full metallic barrel.
- Hexagonal barrel for enhanced gripping and prevention from falling off smooth surfaces.
- The black barrel is made entirely out of metal for perfect weight distribution when writing.
- Ergonomically made metallic grip zone for comfortable writing.
- Comes with a lead guidance sleeve for easier ruler-based drawing and also protection from breakage.
- Uses the rotating lead advancement mechanism.
- The lead point is fully retractable for safe storage and damage prevention.
- It comes with a clear lead guidance sleeve that makes ruler-based drawing more precise.
12. Paper Mate ClearPoint 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil Set
The complete Paper Mate ClearPoint Mechanical Pencil Starters set includes two ClearPoint Mechanical Pencils, 12 lead refills, and two eraser refills. These mechanical pencils are suitable for light to moderately professional work.
- Translucent barrel with non-slip comfort grip for enhanced writing comfort and control.
- Retractable non-residue jumbo eraser that becomes accessible using a twist-up mechanism.
- Features a simple click-to-advance lead advance mechanism.
- A clear barrel makes lead levels visible, enabling you to refill the mechanical pencil before it runs out.
- Comfortably designed barrel and grip enhance user comfort.
- The starter set comes with refills for both the lead and the erasers.
- Non-residue eraser guarantees cleaner corrections.
11. Paper Mater 1.3mm Assorted 8-Count Mechanical Pencils
The color-coded design of the barrels in this 8-count mechanical pencil set makes them easier to distinguish. Clearly made for students, the mechanical pencil set offers great value for money since they are refillable and do not require sharpening.
- Uses a standard #2 lead, which is ideal for day-to-day usage.
- Triangular barrel design makes it easier to hold and less prone to slipping and falling.
- 1.3mm lead is thicker than others, which translates to fewer breakages.
- Easy to refill design.
- Thick #2 lead points are very resilient and hard to break.
- The colorful design is attractive for young students.
- Hexagonal barrel design makes them easier to grip for small fingers.
- Easy to refill.
10. Pentel Sharp 0.5mm Automatic Pencil (Pack of 2)
Available in 0.5mm, 0.7mm, and 0.9mm #2 lead points, the Pentel Sharp automatic pencil is suitable for standardized functions and more. They are notably more useful for ruler-based drawing thanks to their thin 4mm fixed tips, which also enhance stability and reduce lead breakage.
- Metallic mesh grip is better for precision control and writing comfort.
- Fixed 4mm sleeve for precise ruler-based drawing.
- Superior build quality.
- 4mm sleeve makes it easier to work with rulers and make precise drawings.
- Mesh grip provides superior control for enhanced drawing accuracy.
- The lead point makes crisp, dark inscriptions and does not ‘scratch’ the writing surface.
- The high-quality build makes it ideal for professionals.
9. Pentel Super Hi-Polymer 0.7mm Lead Refills (90 Pieces of Lead)
The Pentel Super Hi-Polymer lead refills are built primarily for strength and resilience. It comes with 0.7mm lead refills that are tough enough to withstand up to 123 grams of pressure. With 90 pieces of lead per pack, the 0.7mm Pentel Super Hi-Polymer lead refills are a great choice for professionals.
- Thicker, stronger, and more resilient 0.7mm lead points.
- 90 pieces of replacement lead points ensure long-lasting use.
- Similar to the lead in #2 wood case pencils.
- Tough, resilient, and not prone to breaking.
- A pack of 90 pieces is great value for money.
8. Pentel Sharp Kerry 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil
Elegant, perfectly balanced, and features a sleek exterior, the Pentel Sharp Kerry mechanical pencil is a premium drawing and writing tool for professionals. It uses a #2 lead point, which makes it eligible to scan on standardized tests.
- The pencil cap provides excellent writing balance and pocket protection when not in use.
- The polished metallic barrel is elegant-looking and perfectly weighted to provide excellent writing balance.
- Each mechanical pencil is assembled by hand.
- The pencil is refillable with the Pentel Super Hi-Polymer Lead refills and the Z3-1 eraser refills.
- Comes with a pencil cap that protects the user from pokes and stabs
- Packaged in an attractive gift box.
- A perfectly balanced glossy metallic barrel is excellent for professional writing and drawing.
- Comes gift packaged in an attractive box.
7. Paper Mate SharpWriter 0.7mm Mechanical Pencils 32-Count Value Pack
Other than the fact that the SharpWriter mechanical pencils come in 32-count value packs, they are also suitable for professionals thanks to their highly resilient, break-resistant lead points. SharpWriter mechanical points are known for their ability to make crisp, clear inscriptions on various writing surfaces. The 32-count value pack comes with pencils of different colors.
- Uses the twist-to-advance lead advance mechanism to extend the lead point.
- A cushion point on the tip prevents lead breakage by reducing the writing pressure.
- Each mechanical pencil has an inbuilt pocket clip that makes it easier to carry.
- Suitable replacement pencils for high-end, refillable pencils.
- Pencils create crisp inscriptions that are easy to read.
- Lightweight pencils, but sturdy enough.
6. Pentel GraphGear 500 PG525A Automatic Drafting Pencil
The Pentel GraphGear 500 is a professional-grade automatic drafting pencil that is packed with suitable features for the professional. Some of its impressive features include a top-click advancement mechanism and an eraser.
- The mechanical pencil is refillable with the professional-grade Pentel Super Hi-Polymer Lead refills and the Z21 eraser refills.
- It features a metallic mesh grip for more precise handling and more comfortable writing.
- A 4mm sleeve makes it suitable for ruler-based drawing and drafting.
- Utilizes a 0.5mm lead point.
- The beveled barrel is well balanced and more comfortable to handle.
- The premium build is suitable for professional drawing and drafting tasks.
- Precise control is ideal for making sharp, accurate inscriptions.
- Durably assembled metallic barrel.
- Knurled grip enhances writing comfort.
5. Uni Mechanical Pencil M510171p.26 0.5mm Kuru Toga Roulette Model
Featuring a very sleek, professional-looking polished metallic barrel, the Kuru Toga Roulette Model of the Uni Mechanical
The pencil is definitely one of the nicer looking models on this list. It features an efficient design that utilizes a 0.5mm lead point for making crisp, fine lines.
- The rotating lead advance mechanism is easy to use.
- Comes with an eraser atop the metallic body.
- An in-built pocket clip makes it easier to carry.
The perfectly balanced metallic barrel features a premium design.
- Very perfectly balanced metallic barrel.
- Durable and made for professional use.
- Textured grip makes it very comfortable to use.
4. Uni-Ball Kuru Toga Roulette 0.7mm Mechanical Pencil
The self-sharpening Kuru Toga roulette mechanical pencil is a high-quality mechanical pencil that might be a bit too technical for casual writing or drawing. However, it is straightforward to operate and can deliver more than satisfactory results for the professional.
- The lead advance mechanism is an exclusive rotating mechanism that also keeps the 0.7mm lead point sharp.
- It uses diamond-infused lead, which is virtually unbreakable and more resilient compared to other lead points.
- The cone-shaped point is not prone to breaking often.
- The gel pen is expertly made for precision writing and crisp, ruler-based, or freehand drawing.
- Features a virtually unbreakable #2 lead point filler.
- Easy-to-operate rotating lead advance mechanism.
- Has a clean, stain-free eraser.
- Comes with replacement lead refills and extra erasers.
3. BIC Pencil Xtra Strong Thick Point 0.9mm Mechanical Pencils (24-count)
This is another 24-count BIC value pack that contains 24 shatter-resistant mechanical pencils. The non-refillable mechanical pencils use three full-sized #2 lead points, equivalent to two and a half wood case pencils. 0.9mm lead points to make these pencils suitable for bold writing and drawing.
- Comes with a simple top lead advance mechanism.
- Has enough lead to out-write two and a half wood case pencils.
- Uses 0.9mm lead points.
- The non-refillable barrel is shatter-proof and splinter-resistant.
- Comes in various colors.
- Simple to use
- Great value for money
- 0.9mm lead points are thicker and more resilient.
- Available in a variety of colors.
2. Pentel Graph Gear 1000 0.3mm Automatic Drafting Pencil
For crisp, fine lines and intricate drawings, the Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil is up to the task. It uses the extra-fine-point 0.3mm lead filler and features one of the most professional-looking metallic barrels in this list.
- Expertly crafted ergonomic metallic barrel with a soft, comfortable latex-free grip.
- Fixed 4mm sleeve that makes it suitable for ruler-based drawing.
- 0.3mm lead points for extra fine drawing, drafting, and writing.
- The metallic body is expertly weighted for optimum balance.
- Well, balanced, durable metallic barrel with a comfortable grip.
- Easy-to-manipulate top lead advance mechanism.
- Comes with a pocket clip.
- Self-sharpening Super Hi-Polymer Lead with refillable and a Z2-1 eraser.
1. BIC Xtra Sparkle 24-Count 0.7mm Mechanical Pencils
The colorful barrels of the Xtra Sparkle mechanical pencils make them suitable for children and students. It uses medium-sized 0.7mm lead points and features a surprisingly tough, shatter-proof barrel.
- Splinter-proof plastic barrels available in a wide range of colors.
- Three full-length #2 leads are provided for every pencil.
- The bright and vibrant design is suitable for younger writers and artists.
- Easy-to-use top advance mechanism.
- No-residue erasers for clean corrections.
- Sparkly, colorful barrels.
Why Choose a Mechanical Pencil?
Most people prefer mechanical pencils because they are self-sharpening. Most of them are also refillable or come with extra lead points, meaning they have a longer life than normal wood case pencils. For professionals, mechanical pencils provide sharper, more legible writing, and crisp drawing lines. Their ease of use is what makes them a favorite among people.
Mechanical Pencil Buying Guide
When looking for a mechanical pencil, you should consider the following:
Price – Mechanical pencils can be expensive, especially when you focus on the high-end models.
Function – If you intend to use your pencil simply for writing, a 0.5mm lead is sufficient. However, if your hand uses a lot of pressure to write, you may want to go for the thicker 0.7mm or even 0.9mm models. Detailed drawing might require a much finer lead point, such as the 0.3mm lead.
Lead advancement mechanism – There are a lot of options to choose from when it comes to mechanisms. From top advancement to the more intricate Kuru Toga mechanisms, the lead advancement mechanism matters a lot.
Eraser – Although size matters, most mechanical pencils come with small erasers. As such, for maximum value, you should look for pencils that come with eraser refills.