Your lawn constitutes a big part of your home, and one major task in lawn maintenance is cutting the grass. In fact, mowing the grass frequently is as crucial to the health of your lawn as often fertilizing and watering it. To accomplish this task properly, you need to use the right kind of lawn mower. How do you differentiate a good mower from a not-so-good one? We have reviewed the ten best lawn mowers, but before you get to that, it’s best that you get an understanding of what you should look for in a lawn mower. When choosing, check out the following:
Power and Performance
- Power and Performance
- Starting Mechanism
- Safety Features
- Deck Size
- Grass Management Options
- Height Adjustment
Lawn mowers require different sources of energy to be powered, i.e. human energy, electric energy or gas energy. Electrically (battery or corded) powered mowers have many advantages over other types of mowers, as they are super-efficient, environmentally friendly and cost effective.
When choosing a mower, it’s important to check whether it is a push type or a self-propelled one. For self-propelled mowers, it’s good to look at the motor specs to determine how powerful and efficient the mower is. A mower that has a powerful engine performs much better.
There are various options for starting a mower. There are those mowers that are started by using a key and starter button, while there are those that are initiated by inserting a key and pulling a starter handle.
Various safety features are incorporated to ensure that the lawn mowing process is safe. One of such features is a feature that requires users to insert and turn a child-proof plastic key before turning on. There are also those lawn mowers that come with shields or guards that prevent tiny rocks from being flung out by the blades. Others prevent height adjustments when the mower is running. It’s good to check the safety features incorporated in a mower.
Deck size is basically the width of the lawn mower’s cutting swath. Mowers with wider deck size tend to cut the lawn in fewer passes, which ultimately saves time and money. However, a wide-decked mower is heavier and harder to push through thicker grass. If you have a slight build and intends to trim a large lawn, a compact mower might be more ideal. A small decked mower will also be easier to store as it doesn’t take much space. Therefore, it would be best to choose a mower with a deck size that is neither too wide nor too narrow.
Grass Management Options
When it comes to grass management, there are various options available. There are those mowers that shoot grass clipping out from the side, and there are those that collect the clipping in a bag for mulching and disposal. If you would like to avoid sweeping or raking the grass after mowing, you better choose a mower that comes with an attached bag. While some mowers come with only one grass management option, there are those that come with as much as three options.
The height of the mower should correspond with the height of the grass. You should consider two aspects of height adjustment. Firstly, you should check the ease at which the mower’s height can be adjusted. There are those mowers that come with an individual lever to fine-tune each wheel, while there are those mowers that come with a single lever that changes the height of all wheels concurrently. It is, therefore, crucial for you to check the kind of height adjustment system a mower uses.
Those are the most important factors that you should consider when selecting an ideal lawnmower. Without further ado, let’s take a look at the ten best lawn mowers of 2017:
10. BLACK Plus DECKER MM2000
Those looking for a light and powerful mower will find the BLACK Plus DECKER MM2000 suitable for their lawn maintenance. This electric walk-behind push lawn mower features a 20-inch broad cutting path, and it is not only efficient in mowing grass, but it can also cut the edges of flower bends and fencing, which is made possible by the innovative EdgeMax deck design. Also featured are 13-gallon nylon grass collection bag, an ultra-powerful 13 Ah motor, and a convenient handle.
- It’s a 3-in-1 mower with mulching and side discharging capabilities.
- Being electric, the lawnmower is super-efficient, environmentally friendly while being cost effective.
- Its nylon-made grass collection bag enables you to check fill levels quickly.
- Comes with 7-setting height adjustment which lets you select the height of the cut accordingly.
- It can be folded effortlessly for compact storage, thus perfect for users with limited storage space.
- It is soundless.
- It comes with a cord that limits the user’s movements.
- Top 10 Best Zero Turn Mowers 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Riding Lawn Mowers and Tractors for Sale 2018 Reviews
9. Earthwise 50120
Earthwise 50120 is a three-in-one electric lawn mower that has easy controls that enable you to choose between mulching, bagging or side discharge. It features a powerful 12-amp electric motor, a 20-inch cord, a foldable Comfort “V” handle with cushion grip, smooth roll composite wheels (7-inch front wheels and 8-inch rear wheels), as well as a single lever height control.
- It is highly durable because it is made of heavy duty steel.
- Allows for broad 20-inch coverage, thus minimizes passes and saves you effort and time.
- It provides you with three grass management options, including mulch, to rear bag or side discharge.
- It features a single-lever height control that makes it easier to adjust the height of the cut.
- Its composite 7” front and 8” rear wheels come with ball bearings that make it easy for you to maneuver harsh and uneven terrain.
- The V-handle with cushion grip not only provides added comfort, but it also provides greater control.
- The foldable handle makes it just but a breeze for the mower to be stored.
- It’s corded
- It doesn’t handle wet/damp grass well.
8. Earthwise 50214
Earthwise 50214 is a two-in-one lawn electric mower that mulches and side discharges. It comes with a 14-inch cord, 5.5-inch front wheels, and 6.5-inch rear wheels, regulating Comfort “V” handle with cushion grip and single lever height adjustment. This mower is an ideal choice for small lawns, yards, and flower gardens.
- It is light at 36.4 pounds, making it a snap for you to maneuver.
- Its engine is quiet.
- It has a double-thick housing that makes it durable.
- The cushion grip on the handle maximizes comfort.
- The single lever makes height adjustment a breeze.
- Not as durable compared to steel-made mowers.
7. BLACK+DECKER EM1500
This is another great lawn mower from BLACK + DECKER that is designed for corded power and cutting efficiency for convenient lawn care. It comes with a grass bag that collects up to 25 percent more grass, and it features the edge max design that allows for edge cutting, while its low profile design allows for easy access under shrubs and obstacles. This mower is ideal for lawns of as much as 3,760 sq. ft.
- It comes with a lightweight yet durable cutting deck that is easy to clean and doesn’t rust.
- Comes with a 10 amp motor which is powerful and efficient.
- It also comes with a single level height adjustment that raises or lowers all four wheels concurrently.
- The mower features a cord wrap system that prevents the extension cords from getting tangled.
- It also comes with a power cord holder that slides along the handle to keep the power cord from getting in the user’s way.
- Its handle folds down, thus enables the mower to fit properly in small spaces.
- This mower spots the PowerDrive technology that provides high-torque trimming of damp and tall grass.
- Glass bag is available.
- This mower does not mulch.
- The plastic bagger consists of several pieces, and aligning can be a bit tricky.
6. GreenWorks 25012
If you have uneven terrain, this powerful electric lawnmower will do a thorough job. It comes with 7” front and rear wheels that enable the mower to navigate tough terrains easily. You can also expect it cut through tough grass and be quick about it as it is powered by a 12 amp electric motor. This two-in-one mower comes with mulching as well as side discharging capabilities. It also features a total of 7 position height adjustment which allows it to cut all types of grass. Also featured is an 18-inch cutting deck made of durable steel.
- It has zero carbon footprint, just like all other products from GreenWorks.
- It is quick to assemble.
- Very efficient in cutting thick grass.
- It is lightweight yet durable.
- It is soundless.
- Simple start mechanism with just a push of a button.
- It is corded and doesn’t have a battery.
- The bagging option is not available. Only two grass management options are available, i.e. mulching and discharging.
5. GreenWorks 25142
GreenWorks 25142 corded mower features a 10 amp electric motor that is powerful enough to cut through tough grass. It features a 16-inch cutting deck that is quite durable. Also featured are 6” front wheels and 7” rear wheels that allow for easy navigation through tough terrain. Has five position height adjustment options that provide a range of cutting height adjustments, thus is capable of cutting different grass types. This lawn mower is perfect for small to medium-sized yards.
- It is powerful and efficient in cutting through thick grass.
- It is light, thus easy to maneuver.
- Pre-assembled, thus doesn’t require you to put any components together.
- It makes less noise compared to a gas mower.
- Its handle folds down, thus makes the mower easy to store.
- Its grass catcher bag is a bit small, thus requires you to empty it frequently when mowing a large lawn.
4. GreenWorks 27022
With a powerful 10 amp motor, this electric lawn mower is a perfect dethatcher that accomplishes tasks in record time. It has a 14-inch-sized deck and features 3-position tine depth adjustment that gives more control by eliminating matted layers to enhance continued lawn health. The stainless steel tines it comes with stay sharp for a long time. Also featured is an ergonomic, adjustable handle that boosts user comfort during mowing.
- It is an easy tool to assemble and use.
- Its height can be easily adjusted to the user’s liking.
- The tines are sturdy, thus are durable.
- The handle features padded grip, thus very comfortable.
- Its bag is small, thus fills up pretty quickly.
3. BLACK+DECKER MTE912
The efficient and high-quality tool has three functions – it acts like a lawn mower, edger, and string trimmer. It features a 6.5 amp motor and features the AFS automatic feed system that makes it possible for mowing to go on continuously. This mower is available in two versions – corded version and cordless version. This 12-inch edger/trimmer also features a gear-driven transmission that enables it to maintain a constant speed that doesn’t bog down when trimming.
- It’s perfect for cutting small lawns with difficult-to-reach areas or small inclines.
- It is incredibly easy to use and detaches quickly.
- Comes with a foot pedal release that enables you to quickly insert or remove the edger/trimmer as you change from edging to trimming or mowing.
- It features a lightweight, ergonomic design with adjustable handle and height positions, which presents ultimate control and comfort.
- Its small footprint design makes it easy to store.
- Batteries for the cordless version take a short to charge but take long to run out.
- It doesn’t come with a bag to collect clipping
2. GreenWorks 25022
GreenWorks 25022 is a 3-in-1 lawn mower that provides several options for grass cuttings, including mulching, side discharge, and rear bagging. It features a 7-position height adjustment which allows for all types of grass to be clipped efficiently. It comes with 7-inch front wheels and 10-inch rear wheels that enable the mower to navigate uneven and rough train.
- It comes with a 4-year limited warranty.
- Its 12 amp electric motor generates enough power to clip tough grass.
- It comes with a 20” cutting deck that ensures that the mowing process is accomplished efficiently and swiftly.
- Lightweight, thus easy to push.
- It is soundless.
- It doesn’t come with a cord. You have to buy a separate outdoor extension cord.
- It is not self-propelled.
1. GreenWorks 25112
With a robust 13 amp electric motor, this mower is sure to get any job done efficiently. Its 12” cutting deck is made of durable steel and ensures that the mowing process takes less time. It has the 3-in-1 feature that allows for several grass management options including mulching, side discharging, as well as rear bagging. It features 7” front wheels and 10” rear wheels, which means that it can maneuver any terrain.
- The steel deck is sturdy and can survive rocks and sticks.
- Large rear wheels make the mower easy to navigate.
- The bag and discharge cover are easy to attach.
- It is lighter compared to gas mowers.
- It is not self-propelling.
The above-reviewed mowers have their strengths and limitations. It is upon you to determine which of them is ideal for you. To make the right choice, you have to make certain considerations. Such factors include your budget, your lawn size and the type of grass to be mowed.